Yesterday, I watched Sandor spend twenty minutes with an ancient Hot Wheels. He ran that little Mustang all over the kitchen counters, over the sleeping dog and around the kitchen sink. Then he used the dish squirter in the sink to wash the car. That particular Hot Wheel was Jack’s so it’s at least 18 years old.
I wondered for a moment why Sandor wasn’t playing with some of the super cool stuff he got for Christmas then I realized he never does.
This year he got a life like talking army guy, a game called Super Sonic, they are tennis raquets without strings. You play tennis without a ball, and it makes neat sound effects.There’s a new WII Game and Bop It game, a remote control helecoptor and a great big key board, all piled up on his dresser in his room.
What are the top five toys Sandor plays with? You already know, don’t you?
1. Let’s see, he loves to draw tiny dudes, and airplanes. What’s he draw with? Not the expensive Blendy Pens he asked for, he actually likes notebook paper and a number #2 lead pencil.
2. His Hot Wheels, but he never uses the miles of track and battery opperated escalators or flaming ramps with crazy sound effects. He just like to roll them over the dog and my forehead.
3. He loves banging away on the drum set Jack left at the house and he’s actually getting pretty good. They are just ridiculously loud.
4. Nerf Guns, with or without bullets
5. Sandor has a little squad of plastic soldiers. They were actually decorations on his birthday cake last year. Those men go through hell defending this country.
6. Outdoor toys…football, basketball and sticks. Every kid loves beating up stuff with sticks, right?
So, all the Christmas gifts are actually just a waste of money? Well, not everything. Santa left him his very own electric Spider Man Tooth Brush.He likes that so much he’s stopped sneaking into my bathroom and using mine.